Thursday, January 08, 2009

Japanese woodblock prints

Last week I went to Victoria & Albert Museum and saw, among other things, the Masterpieces of Ukiyo-e. It was the first time I saw these kind of colour woodblock prints in reality. I've been very interested in these prints from the Edo period because they are about popular consumption in that period, because I work with prints myself - and because of my interest in Manga.

I also got to get a closer look at some of the gallery assistants that probably got the job I applied for. I asked one of them for directions. She sighed, made a little thing with the eyes (like "why do you bother me") and said she didn't know. When I insisted she checked her map and reluctantly gave me directions. And sighed. Was that excellent customer service? I would have done that job so much better...

Patrick Gannon makes paper cuts that has a certain Japanese feeling over them. Tim Budden paper cuts are less Japanese, but still Asian inspired. Beatrice Coron makes public art with the starting point in paper cuts. Check her list of links for more paper artists. Something else: Mankind Mag latest issue is out - re-branded.

2 comments:

natsumi said...

I am interested in ukiyoe too. I saw some great ukiyoe pieces in Metropolitan museum in NY... Very inspring..

Thank you for your comment on my blog!
I had a great trip!

Happy New year!

Bibbi said...

Det finns nåt bättre jobb som väntar på dig. Med roligare arbetskamrater.