Monday, January 12, 2009

kill the messenger

For me January is the month for applications for Artist in Residencies and for grants/scholarships. It means I review my latest works. And judge what is good enough. The painting I had decided to name Messenger (thanks to Thereza!) wasn't good enough. So one late night I did my best to scrub the girl away - because she sucked. I scrubbed really hard (good paper)

...if something is just so-so, there is no point keeping it.

Today I started over with her face. I'm keeping the pose, but I want a different expression.

5 comments:

aimee said...

what a brilliant post title for what you're doing to her! but i hope you don't totally kill the messenger. this critic likes it.

Anonymous said...

I had forgotten how much I love that notion of rubbing back and reworking something that you feel is not quite right... how everything becomes clearer when you step back and look at the whole scene.

January is proving a good one for you. Busy, industrious and full of promise.

Anonymous said...

(That little hello above is from me... I don't normally use the typepad profile key thingy and thought I'd give it a whirl. Hmmm.)

g

●• Thereza said...

oh my... the messenger's been killed!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
i hope you can make another one. it was one of my faves and yay, i got to name it too! :)

Esti said...

well, I kinda liked it... but i'm very curious about that different expression you are looking for...