Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The great Wave


I started to sketch on an idea for a mural in April but the presentation was delayed because the rebuilding of the hotell was postponed...

Anyway - during summer ("vacation") I came up with a second idea. I wanted to make something that was the opposite of the first sketch. Insted of thinking "continue the motion upwards" I wanted to stop the spectator. I wanted round instead of spiky. Though I was still after drama. This sketch is above all inspired by Hokusai's print "the Great Wave off Kanagawa". The wave is to look as much as possible like a watercolour on the wall too. The greyish boat is to have a different expression; like an oil panting.

I had my presentation the other week and I got the commission. Which suggestion they preferred? I'll let you know on Sunday.

11 comments:

●• Thereza said...

WOW congrats alexandra!!!! it's beautiful... this blue is candy to my eyes :)

Camilla Engman said...

wow så cool, kuul.
(jag ger bort dom, grejerna)

kristina - no penny for them said...

this is a most beautiful take on hokusai's wave. congratulations on the commission!

aimee said...

wow! i can feel the movement in this one - love the blue too!

aimee said...

and congratulations on your commission!

Muriel said...

Congratulations!!!

marie-louise said...

Nu gjorde du nånting eget av den där underbara japanska vågen. JÄTTEFINT!

Veja cecilia said...

oj vad roligt, grattis! den här vågen är så spännande, kommer nog att bli i princip hur bra som helst. Om de nu väljer den ;)

nathalie et cetera said...

congratulations for the commission! Love the movement on this one. Very different from your other sketches. Hard to know which one they choose. I guess I'll have to wait til Sunday...

Caroline said...

This is terrific! Congratulations too!

yoon see said...

Wow! Lovely brush strokes that made beautiful painting!